Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Sunday, November 02, 2008
Yep- It's Harvest Time
My Michigan home backs up to a farm making for a nice view out the west windows. We have some wonderful sunsets but we haven't been able to enjoy them much as the field was planted to corn this year (in years past it's been in wheat and soy beans). The corn was "as high as an elephant's eye" since before I got home in September, effectively blocking a view of the horizon. However, I enjoy the corn, especially when it starts to dry. The sound of the wind going through the dry stalks is like a song to me.

Well, this week it's all over. The combines came in and ziiiippppppp, all gone. Then they came through with a chopper and chopped the stalks. Then they baled the chopped stalks into large "square" bales (actually rectangular) and round bales. These will be used for bedding. Farmers don't waste much. With the high cost of fuel and equipment and the low prices they can sell the crops for, they can't afford to.

That said, I have enjoyed walking the now somewhat naked fields (though walking over the ruts and naked corn cobs and left over stalks and pieces of stalks makes for some less than graceful moments). The first time I went out with the dog I noted there were missed cobs of dried corn lying about so I picked them up. I stuffed them in my pockets of my sweatshirt. When the pockets filled up, I zipped the zipper down part-way and filled up the front of my sweatshirt. I did this several times. Then I got smart and took a big plastic bag out with me this morning. I finally had to stop picking cobs when the bag got too heavy. Tonight I went out again without a bag. I almost went back in for one but the dog was headed across the yard and I didn't think I would find much more. Wrong. Next time I'm taking another bag. The funny thing is, I keep finding more where I have already walked. I don't know how I am missing them but I am guessing the wind is blowing the discarded husks thus revealing the missed cobs. Mind you, this field is probably 40 acres. When I cross the fencerow there is another field at least as big. I have covered only a small fraction of these fields. This is most of what I have picked up so far (there are some cobs in the suet feeder of my big bird feeder because the squirrels like to get into that feeder).

The somewhat naked fields.




My 3 day collection of eared corn.










I also thought I would throw in proof here that, while I have not been quilting, I have been creating. I have become completely obsessed with finishing this sweater:
the sleeves are almost done. The back is done so I hope to get started on the front tomorrow. I was limiting myself to knitting only at night while watching TV but the weather has been so nice I spent Thursday, Friday and a little of yesterday sitting on the porch and knittng. I LOVE this time of year!!!

It's number 7 in the Noro Book #3.





And last, but not least, I have been blessed by finding a series of good to excellent books to read in 2008. I don't know if it's that so many good books have been published recently or what. Anyway, I just finished "Goldengrove" which was sad but excellently written. It is about a family consisting of a mother, father and two daughters. Early in the story the oldest daughter dies and the story takes place over that summer and explores how the family, especially the younger sister and the boyfriend of the older sister, deal (and don't deal) with the death. Just prior to that I had read "Ghostwalk" by Rebecca Stott. It is also a fascinating story with a somewhat bittersweet ending. It is the story of a woman obsessed with researching and proving that Sir Issac Newton was not a lone genius but worked in concert with a brotherhood of alchemists. This woman dies somewhat mysteriously before her work is done and her son, a neuroscientist, enlists the help of his former lover (and friend of his mother's) to get the work completed. I won't tell you ay more except to say that, if you have a problem with the metaphysical side of life, skip this book. If, however, you enjoy a mystery with prominent bits of quantum mechanics/physics (ie: how time is not linear but ribbon-like that bends and twists back over itself, with timelines and lives, overlapping and intersecting, then get it.

The book I started yesterday is "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson. I am only about 1/3rd of the way through it and am having a hard time putting it down. This story (so far) is about one of life's damaged children who grows up in poor circumstances (the story is told from his viewpoint as if this is an autobiography). He is in a serious auto accident and goes from being a physically handsome and morally/spiritually corrupt to hideously burned. He makes the decision to kill himself when he is released from the hospital but he meets an interesting woman who is "mentally ill." Or is she? She claims to have known him for over 700 years having met him in the 1320's in a Germany monestary where she was raised and where he was brought, horribly burned in a battle. That's as far as I have gotten. Oh, and the main character has a scar over his heart, supposedly inflicted during the emergency c-section done to try to save his mother's life. It becomes more and more important throughout the story.





The title of the book comes from the "crazy" woman's occupation- she is a sculptor of gargoyles or, as she points out in the story, grotesqueries since gargoyles are waterspouts and her creations are not. If you are sensitive to somewhat crude language, or can't handle graphic descriptions of medical procedures, this book may not be for you. Having worked in a burn unit I not only found the descriptions of the main character's treatments not a problem but was impressed by how accurate they were. I generally can pick apart any book with medical descriptions in it, but (so far) not this one. BTW, this is Mr. Davidson's first novel. You can bet his name is going on my "must read anything by" list.

Ok, off to knit.
posted by Teri Springer @ 4:46 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Teri Springer
Home: Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada
About Me: Studio Art Quilt Associates for the Atlantic Canada Region (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). Quote:Apples and Wine: Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough & smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now Men... Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the hell out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
See my complete profile

ATLANTIC CANADA WEBRING
<< PREV NEXT >>
[Join][Random][List Sites]


Webring is owned by
Fiber and Thread.
Previous | Next | List Sites


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1
 
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.