Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Lots of Work- But not Quilting
It's a beautiful, sunny, crisp autumn day and I have been busy, busy this morning. Just not making art. Well, I guess you could make the argument that cooking from scratch is an art. Please. Go ahead and make that argument. I'll feel so much better!

With 3 teenage boys, all athletes, food and meals are a top priority. I hate waiting until the last minute to make dinner but I am not great with making decisions about WHAT to make. With fall and cooler weather moving in I find I have a craving for soup, home-made bread and other comfort foods. Well, on my diet I have to severely limit my carb and fat intake which really limits what I consider comfort food (like, cream of tomato soup with grilled cheese sammies).

I LOVE tomato-basil soup and found a recipe even my dad (who also loves it) would like. No onions or garlic (ok, I sauteed a couple of smashed garlic cloves in the olive oil but removed the cloves before putting in the tomatoes and basil). Anyway, the first batch went over so well (and disappeared so quickly) I made a double batch yesterday. It's nearly all gone (and the leftover meatloaf is history- the boys all agreed, I make the best meatloaf- EVER).

Today is white chili day. Something I have never made before but then, I'd never made tomato-basil soup from scratch before, either.
First we have the crock pot (not the crackpot- that would be me).






The beans soaked all night and now they are going on to boil and then simmer.











Next we brown the chicken.





Then we chop the onions. What you don't see is me chopping the green chilies. Why?? Well, I'm crazy, NOT demented. I bought them already chopped and they are in the crock pot.






Hmmmmmm.....ingredients in- note the pan to the left with about 2 cups of cooked beans left in it. I think I need a bigger crock pot. Ok, tomorrow we make a trip to Tuesday Mornings (I need a lamp for Jonathon's room too). Any ideas for what I should do with all those leftover beans?? They will go into the fridge until I figure out what to do with them.





Ok, got the lid on at least AND I got it all together with plenty of time to cook it on low and have it ready when Joel and Jon get home from hockey practice. I don't know when Joey will get home as he is staying after school for the JV football game.





Next job- some home made bread!! But this will have to wait until the dishwasher is done running as the bowl I need is in there. So......









I have time for breakfast. A high protein shake, prescribed by my doctor, to help me lose weight.


Today is recycling day. Everyone else has, at most, 2 bins. I have 4 bins, 2 bags of papers you can't see and a box full of papers. There's another box of papers in the garage but I didn't want to press my luck. Can you tell I have missed a few recycling days?? They only pick up every other week and the last pick up was while I was up north at Fabrications. Heaven forbid the boys should think to put it out.






The remains of the tomato-basil soup.





My gift from me to me......


Now off to see what other trouble I can get into. Oh, yeah......I need to clean up the studio.
posted by Teri Springer @ 11:23 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Teri Springer
Home: Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada
About Me: Studio Art Quilt Associates for the Atlantic Canada Region (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). Quote:Apples and Wine: Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough & smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now Men... Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the hell out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
See my complete profile

ATLANTIC CANADA WEBRING
<< PREV NEXT >>
[Join][Random][List Sites]


Webring is owned by
Fiber and Thread.
Previous | Next | List Sites


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1
 
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.