Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Yes- I HAVE been Working
Amazingly enough. First, I am trying to get all "business" stuff out of the studio. It's tough because I listen to the radio on my computer (only way to hear CBC radio here) plus my email is in here.....any way, here is what I spent part (read: most) of my day doing:




Yep- shredding. Tomorrow is recycling day so I thought I'd get a bunch done to put out. As it turns out I have a lot more to shred than I bargained for. I am not even close to done but have put out what is done. The rest will have to go out next recycling day.....

But I have actually worked on some creative stuff too. I am working on a piece for the West MI Art Quilter's Challenge- the theme is "Italy" this year. Never having been there I went looking for photos that screamed Italy at me. I found one of the northern Italian coast and a week later I received a brochure in the mail for cruises and a picture of the same spot was in the brochure! Different angle but the exact same spot. Anyway, I emailed the person who took the first photo and she was kind enough to give me full use of her photo as long as I show her the finished product. Hey, no problem!!

In the meantime I have been working on a series of wholecloth pieces that I am hand stitching (yes, I am crazy but hand stitching is the only way it felt right). I don't want to show any until they are done. BUT, I did give "ice dyeing" a try today. I don't think I will do it again unless the results are REALLY spectacular (meaning, not again).

First I scoured fabric. D'uh. Second, I soaked all the fabric in plain water and wrung it out. Some fabric I put in one bucket, untreated. The rest I put in a second bucket after doing a soda ash soak. I put both buckets outside.

Now, it's been darned cold here so everything froze solid. One thing I didn't think of, all the pieces of fabric froze together (d'uh again). The fabric that was not treated wouldn't come out of the bucket. So today I went out with my dye and started dumping and pouring (I didn't mix up a lot of each color but I did use about 12 colors). The untreated fabric got a soda ash solution dumped on it (in it, as it was still in the bucket) after the dye.

Ok, brought it all inside. As it S-L-O-W-L-Y thawed, I separated the batch that got the soda ash dump (which helped it thaw faster than the pre-treated fabric). squeezed out the excess dye and made fabric burritos with plastic wrap. The burritos were put in a disposable roasting pan and placed in the oven, preheated to 170 degrees F. Those have been in there since 10:20am.

The pretreated fabric took a tad longer to thaw enough to separate....those burritos went in at 1:30pm.

So, now we wait until tomorrow for the wash out to see what the results were. I really hate waiting but, since the Pittsburgh Penguins are playing in 12 minutes, I will manage.....and if I am down in the TV room I can't hear the *(^&^%^%$^*& snowmobilers roaring by the house.....stinky noisy things.




posted by Teri Springer @ 7:03 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Teri Springer
Home: Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada
About Me: Studio Art Quilt Associates for the Atlantic Canada Region (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). Quote:Apples and Wine: Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough & smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now Men... Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the hell out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
See my complete profile

ATLANTIC CANADA WEBRING
<< PREV NEXT >>
[Join][Random][List Sites]


Webring is owned by
Fiber and Thread.
Previous | Next | List Sites


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1
 
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.