Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Happy VD & Ice Dyeing Results
Sorry- old joke (you reading this Rita??). Hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's day. I received tulips from mum & dad (my stepmum remembered I LOVE tulips).



And here are the fabrics from batch 1 of the ice dyeing experiment. This was the batch that was not pretreated with soda ash but had the soda ash solution poured into the bucket after the dye was poured on. Not spectacular but not bad either. Don't think I would go to all this trouble again for this result. Could have done this in the dry, warm studio. I do know that I will be straining ALL red dyes from now on!









The batch of fabrics that was pretreated are in the washer right now having their second cold water rinse. After this rinse I take a piece out and run it under cold water in the bathroom sink (I can't see the water coming out of the washer because there is no sink in the laundry room- it drains into a pipe). If the water runs clear I then wash the fabric in hot water with the Synthrapol. If it does not run clear I keep repeating the cold water rinse until the water IS clear. I find I use a lot less water doing it this way (as opposed to hand rinsing in the studio sink) because I have an "ecosmart" washer that uses less water than a normal top-loader. This method is also MILES kinder to my bad back!!

I will post pics of batch two after they are ironed. Sorry about the pictures but I just didn't have room to get proper photos and was too lazy to do them one at a time by hanging on the cabinet door as I did with the one piece of silk noil I dyed.
posted by Teri Springer @ 12:38 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger Shirley Goodwin said…

    Hmm, same result as mine really, Teri - could have got the same thing with ordinary LWI or whatever. The ice isn't really acting as much of a resist, is it? I'm onto flour paste now, which is messy but fun and DOES create a different look.

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Autumn Moon said…

    I love your inspiration, and the results!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Teri Springer
Home: Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada
About Me: Studio Art Quilt Associates for the Atlantic Canada Region (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). Quote:Apples and Wine: Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough & smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now Men... Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the hell out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
See my complete profile

ATLANTIC CANADA WEBRING
<< PREV NEXT >>
[Join][Random][List Sites]


Webring is owned by
Fiber and Thread.
Previous | Next | List Sites


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1
 
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.