Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Off To Lake Tahoe- A Rant about Travel by Air
Yep, that's right. Tomorrow morning I am off to make the very convoluted trip to Lake Tahoe. You know, every one wonders why the air lines have raised ticket prices and cut services. Of course, it's because their overhead has gone up. I wonder why (heavy sarcasm). Let's see...all flights MUST go through a hub for the airline. Thus, to get from Nova Scotia to Rochester, NY one option was to fly from Halifax to DETROIT then Rochester. Hmmmmm. Just a tad out of the way. If you are lucky enough to get a flight that doesn't take you 100s of miles PAST your destination, you still have to deal with all the delays brought on by overbooking flights, flights getting in late making it necessary to then bring in a new flight crew because the one that was scheduled to fly your plane is now over their max allotted hours, thus further delaying your trip and costing the airline more $$ because the only crew available to fly you from Newark to Grand Rapids, MI is in Chicago (much closer to GR than Newark, I can assure you). Then, when THAT crew finally arrives the equipment (airline euphamism for the plane) is no longer available because the airline used it for another flight! And we wonder why the airlines now have set new records for delays and lost luggage.

Just a suggestion. One that is very logical and, therefore seems to have flown under the radar (pardon the pun) of the FAA and the airlines......GET RID OF THE DAMNED HUB REQUIREMENT!!!!!

I have been flying commercially for 49.5 years (yes, I had my first trip at 6 months old- my family has been heavily involved in the commercial airline industry for years). It was not necessary to go from Chicago to Orlando by stopping in Atlanta. We could even fly from Chicago to Honolulu NONSTOP! HELLO! Take offs and landings waste time and fuel. Flying two hours PAST your eventual destination to change planes makes no sense!! Lowering the number of flights in and out of airports with delay problems (like LaGuardia, Kennedy, Philly and Newark to name the four worst) makes TOTAL sense. Which is, of course, why it isn't happening.

Why the rant?? Because I fail to see why I need to fly from Kalamazoo, Michigan to Sacramento, CA via Chicago AND LAX! Ok, I understand Chicago- the planes coming out of AZO are small so we change to a 737 at ORD (didn't know you were going to get a lesson in airport abbreviations did you??). But why in the heck do I have to fly to SOUTHERN FRIGGING California to get to Sacramento? Hello! My trip back makes more sense- SMF to Denver (the best one- DEN) to ORD to AZO.

Ok, off rant. On to other things. First, my birthday. Thank you to everyone who left a nice message. It was a nice birthday; quiet, uneventful. I had ordered myself flowers to make sure I had some. I ordered orange tulips from 1-800-FLOWERS (they were on special and I love tulips). They are about spent.....



Then the roses arrived from my dad and step mom....



Oh, but that's not even half! They wouldn't all fit in one vase so the first 20 went in this pretty blue vase.....



The other 30 went in the crystal vase! Only one bad thing....since I am leaving for a week at AQT I won't see the roses fully open.......

Ok- some creative content....After reading about Melody's attempts at felting slippers, and seeing Emily's thrift store sweaters to felt for bags, I just couldn't resist a stop at one of the Goodwill Stores in my area. Several years ago I made patchwork throws out of felted sweaters for family. So, hey, why not make some more and open my own Etsy shop?? So, here are my thrift finds.....



And the one sweater that didn't work out (ok, there were actually 2- the other one was 100% merino and wouldn't felt at all):



The band of intarsia felted but the rest of the sweater just shed and shed and shed. I guess I could have used it but I didn't want it to continue to deteriorate so I just cut out the part that did felt and tossed the rest in the dog's kennel- he loves fuzzy things to sleep on.

I am off to watch the Packers and pack!

teri
posted by Teri Springer @ 12:04 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Teri Springer
Home: Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada
About Me: Studio Art Quilt Associates for the Atlantic Canada Region (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). Quote:Apples and Wine: Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough & smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now Men... Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the hell out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
See my complete profile

ATLANTIC CANADA WEBRING
<< PREV NEXT >>
[Join][Random][List Sites]


Webring is owned by
Fiber and Thread.
Previous | Next | List Sites


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1
 
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.