Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Monday, November 05, 2007
Birthday Reflections
Tomorrow (Tuesday, Nov. 6th) I will be 50 years old. I am still caught by surprise from time to time when I see myself in the mirror and wonder who the woman is.....I am a twenty-something in a 50 year-old body. No, I don't want to BE 20-something again. It's just the way I feel.

I decided that, on this auspicious occasion I needed to do something auspicious. I have made some lists (I am really good at lists).

First list- Places to visit in the next 10 years:

1) Ireland: the home of my ancestors. I would like to take a month, fly over, rent a car and just wander; me and my camera and laptop.
2) New Zealand: just because it has always fascinated me. Even more so after my favourite aunt and uncle visited there many years ago. This would be at least a 6 week trip. If I have to sit on a plane that long I'm making it worth my while. Again- the camera and laptop will come along.
3) The Galapagos Islands- this would also fall into my next category: things to do as I want to do some "ecotourism."
4) The Arctic Circle in Canada: I want to experience the area while I still can; not before I am too old but before the damage to the ice becomes more widespread than it already is. I want to spend many evenings enjoying the Northern Lights and I want to spend time in an Inuit village learning about the culture.
5) The Pacific Northwest: from Oregon to British Columbia- especially the many islands.

Second- Things to do:

1) Eco-tourism: I can do this in the Galapagos, the Arctic circle, also I would like to visit South America to go bird watching.
2) Try snow-boarding. I know my close friends will think I'm nuts to want to do this with my bad knees but Joey's orthopedic surgeon told me that snow-boarding is much easier on the knees than skiing. I may get around to this next spring break when I take Joey and two of his friends to Squaw Valley.
3) Learn to kayak and buy my own kayak. That's on the list for summer 2008. I have an instructor who lives just around the corner from me.
4) Take some photography classes: I tried to do this when I was staying in Florida when my mom was ill. Unfortunately the digital photography class I signed up for at FAU through the continuing ed department quickly morphed into a Photoshop Elements class. Now, that does interest me however, I took the class (based upon the description in the catalog) to learn how to better use my first digital camera. When I want to learn Photoshop I will do so in a class on Photoshop. Having said that, I just signed up for a class on photographing artwork with a digital camera. The class includes using Photoshop to tweak the photos but FIRST we take the photos! I never once got to work on one of my own photos in the FAU class nor did the instructor tell me a thing about using a digital camera.
5) Spend less time traveling to take classes and more time in my home studio(s) making work to be followed by:
6) Entering more work in shows. To date I have only entered one show. I plan to change that. Which takes me to the next list:

Third- Things to accomplish:

1) Have a piece accepted into Quilt National or Visions
2) Have a piece accepted into an ART show in either Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto or Halifax

That's as far as I have gotten but I plan to print this out and keep a copy of it so I can cross off things as I do them and add to the list as I find other things and places that interest me......

Oh, and how about some quilt content??

Shibori Fabric

I wish I could take credit for the fabric- I fell in love with it at QSDS. It is by Kevin Womack. I hung it on my design wall and very quickly decided that I could NOT cut it. So, I am hand quilting it and will, perhaps, add some Swarovski crystals. It will then be stretched on a frame and hung in my living room over looking the Front Harbor in Chester. (if you click on the photo for the larger image you will be able to see the quilting. I haven't hand quilted in years but my lessons with the Miller girls in Shipshewana, IN have never failed me. I can still do some mighty small stitches even using a #9 sharp; I bend the smaller needles too easily).

Ok- and some flowers:


Iris

Our unusual fall weather tricked some of my plants into blooming off season. I still had iris trying to bloom on November 1st.

Oh, and would whoever from Halifax is reading my blog PLEASE say hi!
posted by Teri Springer @ 1:17 PM  
9 Comments:
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Gerrie said…

    Being almost 70 (ahem and croak), I do believe that 70 is the new 50 so 50 must be the new 30! Hope all your dreams come true. That is a great list.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Nikki said…

    Happy Birthday!

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Shirley Goodwin said…

    Happy birthday! I have already passed 50, and can confirm that it's normal to still be 20-something on the inside.

     
  • At 7:02 PM, Blogger DubiQuilts - Debbi said…

    Happy Birthday!!! Great list of things to do. You sure will have fun doing each one.

    I turned 50 yearly this year and feel like I am 30. When I was in my 20's I was wild but calmed down by time I hit 30. So for me 30 is a good age to be for now on.

    Hope you enjoyed your day!

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I hope you had a very happy birthday!

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Blogger Karoda said…

    I'm a day late but I do hope your day was everything you needed it to be! Happy Birthday!

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Marlene said…

    Happy Birthday Terri! I'm a bit behind on blog reading these days, hope you had a wonderful day.

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger Dale Anne said…

    Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY Teri!
    Hope YOUR day was the BESTEST ever!!!
    {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger alsokaizen said…

    Hi Teri
    Happy belated birthday! I find your lists very inspiring since I have a birthday myself in a couple of weeks. The shibori piece is gonna be lovely!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Teri Springer
Home: Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada
About Me: Studio Art Quilt Associates for the Atlantic Canada Region (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). Quote:Apples and Wine: Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough & smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now Men... Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the hell out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
See my complete profile

ATLANTIC CANADA WEBRING
<< PREV NEXT >>
[Join][Random][List Sites]


Webring is owned by
Fiber and Thread.
Previous | Next | List Sites


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1
 
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.