Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Monday, July 11, 2005
Dodged a Bullet
Thanks for the emails of support. It worked!

I survived my visit with the oncologist. First, I should explain....I have known the doctor for 24 years. He was my first husband's doctor. I also took my neighbor to him when she was diagnosed with lymphoma. Our kids went to camp together....so, we have a history. I was also a nurse on the oncology unit at Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo and a Hospice nurse....

Call me paranoid. I have had a lump in my right jaw for about a year. It comes and goes and it is often painful. I went to the dentist and he put me on antibiotics for a suspected abcess (I have had several) and referred me to an endodontist (my dentist no longer does root canals since his experience with my first one....I scared him off). I went to the endodontist....no sensitivity in the area, no signs of problems on the x-ray, no root canal.

The lump keeps coming back. My lab work has been off. I had a CRP of 19.58. Normal is 1.5. CRP is a measure of inflammation that can indicate many things, among them possible malignancy or heart problems. It can also indicate colitis.

Ok, yes, I know I have colitis. I know I don't have breast, ovarian, uterine or cervical cancer because I have been checked for all of these in the last 4 months. My cardiac risk for an event in the next 10 years according to the Framingham study scale is a whopping 1%. So, I went worst case scenario and went to the oncologist (he is also a hematologist so I knew he would be able to make educated suggestions on what I should do). He looked at all my labs and examined me....and sent me on my way. He did tell me to schedule an appointment with the cardiologist for a check up but advised me that, given the rest of my labs, he suspects the high CRP was due to the colitis.

Yes, I feel SO much better. I will call my family doc tomorrow and have his office set up the cardiology consult but, for now, I feel pretty good (I know the cardiologist is going to put me on a diet...that's ok...I WANT to lose weight).

teri
posted by Teri Springer @ 6:49 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Carol Logan Newbill said…

    I'm so sorry, Teri, I missed your earlier post asking for good thoughts, but at least I came in to good news! Best of luck with the next step. :)

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Gerrie said…

    So glad to hear the positive news. I missed our earlier post as I have been trying to check blogs only once a day!!

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Karoda said…

    Teri, I too missed your earlier post but I'm happy to read most of the scary stuff has been ruled out. Keep up the good feelings!

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Deb R said…

    Glad everything looks ok Teri!!!

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Susan said…

    My mom had ulcerative colitis most of her adult life, and then got the sucker taken out and an ostomy put in. She was stick thin before the procedure, and put on weight like mad thereafter, but she is alive and happy, so...

    Colitis sucks though. I'm glad I didn't inherit it. IBS is bad enough!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Teri Springer
Home: Chester, Nova Scotia, Canada
About Me: Studio Art Quilt Associates for the Atlantic Canada Region (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island). Quote:Apples and Wine: Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough & smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now Men... Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the hell out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
See my complete profile

ATLANTIC CANADA WEBRING
<< PREV NEXT >>
[Join][Random][List Sites]


Webring is owned by
Fiber and Thread.
Previous | Next | List Sites


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates
15n41n1
 
Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.